So let me first say that I’m addicted to granola. I’ll share my original recipe later, but for now let’s talk about this new gem! My hubby was getting antsy for some granola, so now that I’m a food blogger, my mind started racing about what new exciting concoction I could come up with (hehehe).
I used to love a cereal…I think post made it…”Banana nut crunch” is ringing a bell. I thought hmmmm I wonder if I could cut some sugar out of my original recipe and give the banana flavor a go. Well guess what friends-it was a success! You don’t miss the sugar I cut out because the banana flavor is just enough to make your taste buds happy, not to mention granola is usually eaten with milk like cereal or accompanying some yogurt so its a great compromise.
4 C. (nice round cups) Oats (NOT QUICK OATS)
1 C. (heaping) Walnuts
1/4 C. Amaranth
6T. Coconut Palm Sugar
1/4 t. Pink Himalayan Salt
1t. Ground Cinnamon
3T. Olive Oil
1 Ripe Banana
**Feel free to add a different nut type, grain, or seed to replace walnuts/amaranth if you have an allergy or aren’t a fan. They added the perfect flavor and crunch for me though!
- Mix oats, nuts, Coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Puree banana (I use a small food chopper-works great!).
- Combine oil, honey, and banana puree in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour over dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly until evenly coated.
- Grease cookie sheet(s) with olive oil and spread granola evenly and bake for about 30 minutes on the middle rack at 300 degrees. I stir mine every 10 minutes. Cook until golden brown.
- Let granola cool completely. Transfer to an air-tight container. It will stay fresh for a couple weeks.